Frequently Asked Questions

Q: Who is the licensing body for Radiologic Technologists in the state of California?
A: The licensing body for California is the Radiologic Health Branch of the California Department of Public Health. They can be found online at

Q: I am from out of state. What do I need to get a California license ("Radiologic Technology Certificate")?
In order to obtain your California RT license, you will need to pass the ARRT exam and submit the CRT license application [CDPH 8200] to the Radiologic Health Branch (RHB) of the California Department of Public Health. If you wish to apply for a fluoroscopy or mammography permit, you will need to download those forms from the RHB's website. You may also find the Radiologic Health Branch's Certification & Permitting FAQ page to be helpful.

Q: How do I check on the status of a California license?
A: You can check the status of California licenses and certificates by using the search tool at

Q: Where can I find information on the scope of practice for Radiologic Technologists?
A: Check out Title 17, California Code of Regulations, Section 30441 here.

Q: The RHB didn't send me my renewal form! How do I renew my license before it expires?
A: If you are within 45 of your expiration date and you have not yet received your renewal forms from the RHB, you can download and complete the Special Renewal Application form from the Department of Public Health website.

Q: I have my venipuncture certification from another state, can I use it in California?
A: No, you will need to obtain a California venipuncture certification. Venipuncture standards vary from state-to-state so you will need to meet the venipuncture requirements for each state in which you practice. More information about venipuncture may be found HERE.

Q: How often do I need to take the venipuncture course to keep my venipuncture certification?
A: You only need to take the venipuncture certification course once as your venipuncture certification does not expire. However, you may have to retake the course if you loose your documentation showing completion of the course, so be sure to keep a copy in a safe place.