About Venipuncture for Technologists
Venipuncture to inject contrast material is permitted under California law for Certified Radiologic Technologists who have completed an approved training course with a minimum of 10 hours of instruction, in combination with supervised clinical practice and current CPR training. The CSRT offers a course to teach techniques for the administration of contrast materials, the pharmacology of dose units, and response to allergic reactions. Materials for the documentation of the supervised clinical practice, required by California law, will be provided. In class, RT students practice venipuncture on I.V. training arms.
This workshop satisfies the California legal requirement, which requires an approved venipuncture training course with a minimum of 10 hours of instruction in combination with supervised clinical practice and current CPR certification. Materials for the documentation of the supervised clinical practice, required by California law, will be provided.
In addition to reviewing online course materials, radiologic technologists will schedule an in-person session to practice venipuncture on I.V. training arms. This venipuncture workshop addresses all topics identified by the California Department of Public Health’s Radiologic Health Branch and by Senate Bill 1199 (Dutton 2012) to meet the requirements for venipuncture certification including:
- (A) Anatomy and physiology of venipuncture sites.
- (B) Venipuncture instruments, intravenous solutions, and related equipment.
- (C) Puncture techniques.
- (D) Techniques of intravenous line establishment.
- (E) Hazards and complications of venipuncture.
- (F) Post Puncture care.
- (G) Composition and purpose of antianaphylaxis tray.
- Detailed Review of Online Course Materials with Knowledge Checks (6 hours)
- In-Person Stick Session (1 hour)
- Verification of Prior CPR Certification (2 hours)
TOTAL = 10 Required Hours
This course is only open to Certified Radiologic Technologists and students enrolled in a radiologic sciences program. In order to register for the course, you must email CSRT (firstname.lastname@example.org) both of the items listed below:
- Current copy of your CRT license or ARRT license.
- Current copy of your CPR certification.
- Technologist/Professional Members: $235
- Technologist/Professional Non-Members: $280
- Student Member: $75
- Student Non-Member: $100
- Those who register at the non-member rate will be provided a complimentary CSRT membership for one (1) year.
ASRT Approved Category “A” Credit
This course has been approved by the American Society of Radiologic Technologist (ASRT) for 8.5 Category “A” Credits and meets the American Registry of Radiologic Technologists (ARRT) criteria for Category “A” continuing education credit. In addition to the classroom portion of the course, students must perform ten (10) successful venipunctures under the direct supervision of a physician, registered nurse, or technologist holding an IV contrast certificate. Documentation of ten (10) successful venipunctures must be submitted to CSRT within 30 days of didactic training in order to validate the Certificate of Completion.
How To Attend
CSRT offers numerous venipuncture courses throughout the year. Please visit our events page for details.
- California Venipuncture Law HSC 106985 (Senate Bill 1199) -- Text of the law can be found online at http://leginfo.legislature.ca.gov/faces/codes.xhtml -- Select “HSC” for Code and enter “106985” for Section.