NorCal | Venipuncture Certification Course | May 20, 2023
This course is only open to medical imaging or radiation therapy professionals or students enrolled in a qualified medical imaging or radiation therapy program.
This venipuncture workshop addresses all topics identified by the California Department of Public Health’s Radiologic Health Branch and by Senate Bill 1199 (Dutton 2012) to meet the requirements for venipuncture certification including:
- (A) Anatomy and physiology of venipuncture sites.
- (B) Venipuncture instruments, intravenous solutions, and related equipment.
- (C) Puncture techniques.
- (D) Techniques of intravenous line establishment.
- (E) Hazards and complications of venipuncture.
- (F) Post Puncture care.
- (G) Composition and purpose of antianaphylaxis tray.
This workshop satisfies the California legal requirement, which requires an approved venipuncture training course with a minimum of 10 hours of instruction in combination with supervised clinical practice and current CPR certification. Materials for the documentation of the supervised clinical practice, required by California law, will be provided. After passing the online course materials, participants will schedule an in-person stick session to practice venipuncture on I.V. training arms.
Please Note: The Venipuncture Certification will only be issued to Certified Radiologic Technologists and students enrolled in a qualified radiologic sciences or radiation therapy program. All other medical imaging professionals who take and pass the venipuncture course will receive a certificate of completion only and will not meet the requirements to practice venipuncture as outlined in Senate Bill 1199. For clarification on whether you are eligible for the Venipuncture Certification, please contact CSRT at email@example.com
Participants will complete an online knowledge check which includes 12 recorded lectures and 12 quizzes. Upon completion of the knowledge checks with a passing score of 75%, you will attend a pre-virtual meeting via Zoom, with CSRT Instructor Rich Lehrer. At the online meeting with Rich Lehrer participants will receive their in-person stick session time in Sacramento, California on Saturday, March 25, 2023. The exact location of the session will be provided after completion of the didactic portion of the course.
After registering for the course, you must email CSRT (firstname.lastname@example.org) the items listed below:
- A current copy of your CPR certification.
- Documentation including any applicable license numbers showing you are a medical imaging or radiation therapy professional.
- Radiologic Technologists Only: Must submit a current copy of your CRT license or ARRT certification.
- Students ONLY: Instead of your CRT, please send the name of your institution and the program director's name/contact information to verify you are currently enrolled in a medical imaging or radiation therapy program.
- Monday, May 15, 2023 (by 5:00pm) - All 12 recordings must be watched, and all 12 knowledge checks must be completed. Links to the recordings and knowledge checks will be provided to you through your registration confirmation email. Students must carefully watch the 12 recordings and pass the 12 knowledge checks (quizzes) with a 75% grade or higher or else they are charged a $15 retake fee.
- Thursday, May 18, 2023 (6:30pm-7:30pm) - Students will meet as a group with the instructor via Zoom. The instructor will schedule each student for their in-person venipuncture stick session during this meeting.
- Saturday, May 20, 2023 - Students will meet with the instructor to perform their 10 in-person venipuncture sticks in Sacramento, California. Each group of 4 will meet with the instructor for approximately 90 minutes. Students will receive their certificates upon completion of the in-person stick session.
Students MUST wear a mask and bring gloves in order to participate in the in-person stick session.
- Detailed Review of Online Course Materials with Knowledge Checks (6 hours)
- In-Person Stick Session (2 hours)
- Verification of Prior CPR Certification (2 hours)
- TOTAL = 10 Required Hours
- CSRT Technologist/Professional Member & Current CRT: $280
- Technologist & Current CRT or Medical Imaging Professional Non-Member: $340*
- CSRT Student Member
- Both Didactic & IV Sticks: $180
- Didactic Only: $65
- IV Sticks Only: $135
- Student Non-Member*:
- Both Didactic & IV Sticks: $210
- Didactic Only: $95
- IV Sticks Only: $165
*Those who register at the non-member rate will be provided a complimentary CSRT membership for one (1) year.
CSRT Cancellation Policy
Cancellations must be received in writing 14 days prior to the course to receive a full refund minus a $25.00 administration fee. Any cancellation or no show less than 14 days prior to the course is not eligible for a refund and will be assessed an administrative fee of $50 to re-schedule the course on a later date. Attendees must register for a future course within 12 months of the date the original payment was received.
ASRT Approved Category “A” Credit
This course has been approved by the American Society of Radiologic Technologists (ASRT) for 9.25 Category “A” Credits and meets the American Registry of Radiologic Technologists (ARRT) criteria for Category “A” continuing education credit. In addition to the classroom portion of the course, students must perform ten (10) successful venipunctures under the direct supervision of a physician, registered nurse, or technologist holding a venipuncture certificate.
Thank you to the Gurnick Academy of Medical Arts for hosting the 2023 Nothern California Venipuncture Stick Sessions!
Thank you to the Gurnick Academy of Medical Arts & American Career College for their Platinum Annual Sponsorships !
|Both Didactic & IV Sticks (Current CSRT Student Member)||$180.00|
|Both Didactic & IV Sticks (Not a CSRT Student Member)||$210.00|
|Radiologic Technologist (Current CSRT Member)||$280.00|
|Radiologic Technologist (Not a CSRT Member)||$340.00|
|CSRT Associate Member (Not a CRT)||$280.00|
|Medical Imaging Professional Non-Member (Not a CRT)||$340.00|